Professor Douglas Drossman discusses effective communication skills to optimize the provider patient relationship in this interview on Dr. Jim Kantidakis’ Talking Gut podcast, December 4, 2019.
Click here to listen
In this episode they talked about:
- What is patient centered care?
- Should the patient be the judge of patient centered care and why?
- What are the key definitions relating to communication?
- How and why effective communication is important to the patient and the doctor?
- How effective communication builds a therapeutic relationship and how it improves patient satisfaction levels and therapeutic outcome, and also reduces physical burnout in doctors.
- How to communicate and still manage time effectively.
- We discussed Prof Drossman’s educational videos for health practitioners on effective communication.
- We also discussed in great details Prof Drossman’s 10-point guide to ‘Learning & Applying Effective Communication Skills to Optimise the Provider Patient Relationship’, and how verbal and no verbal behaviour affects communication.
About Dr. Drossman
Douglas Drossman, MD is a world authority on the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and author of many books and publications about the treatment of IBS and other GI Disorders. He has a private practice in Durham, NC where he offers treatment for these disorders in a very unique patient centered biopsychosocial approach that can help patients find improvement in symptoms and quality of life.